With the addition of Link to our family I am facing new demands on my time and I am struggling to keep up with the commitments I made.
This shouldn’t be a surprise. Over the last 6 months I have squeezed every moment of productivity out of my life. I have scheduled and optimized my day to achieve my goals.
Where Did All the Time Go?
Over the last month I have risen to the challenge of my new responsibilities while trying not to let any of my old commitments slip through the cracks.
I have added:
- Getting my daughter dressed and dropped off at daycare
- Finding time to hold and play with my son
- Reading bedtime stories together as a family
- Giving my daughter extra attention during this transition period
I have kept:
- Preparing fresh healthy food for the majority of our meals
- Practicing guitar 35 minutes a day on average
- Writing 750 words a day on average
- Publishing one blog post a week
I have let slip:
- Weighing myself daily and tracking in Tonic
- Eating moderately and not indulging in sweets
- Exercising or playing 15 minutes a day
- Going to bed early to allow 8 hours of sleep
Canary in the Coal Mine
I don’t want you to think that I am complaining. The truth is that the last month has been one of the happiest and most rewarding periods of my life. It has also been one of the most exhausting and stressful.
I know that it is not sustainable to eat poorly, cut out exercise and reduce my sleep. Being healthy, fit and well-rested gives me the energy and focus to achieve my goals and meet my responsibilities. If those are slipping the rest will certainly follow in time.
Luckily I have a week long vacation coming up and I am looking forward to catching up on my exercise and sleep. I also plan on revisiting my short and long term goals and re-balancing my load by pruning away any tasks, projects or habits that are getting in the way of achieving them.